Monday, October 27, 2008

Guinean Life As Usual

Oct 27, 2008

Well, it's been a little over a month now, and Guinea's feeling more like home. Teaching my one class continues to be enjoyable, and it's great having students who are interested in the subject and even like to work on projects outside of class, although that aspect of it makes me have to work harder to keep a step ahead.

The past week gave me a few opportunities to do some computer "surgery." I've always thought that if being a doctor is analogous to doing computer tech support except with a living patient who doesn't have a "restart" button, then count me out. Actually, count me out of the health profession anyway since I don't do well with blood. Computers are a bit easier because usually the worst that can happen is you have to (1) restart, (2) reload the machine from scratch (a little time-consuming but not the end of the world), or (3) order new parts, which gets a little tricky in Guinea since the mail system isn't really reliable. I had the potential for all 3 of these cases this week, but ended up saving one computer from being reloaded. Another computer needs a new video card, so you can pray for a way to get that shipped over here successfully, whether through the mail or via someone coming for a conference or to visit or something.

I've also had a chance to have some more interaction with the Guineans in the village where the mission center is located. Although my French and Landuma are both lacking, the little bit of French that I get from sitting in on my roommate's class has definitely been helpful for basic communication. Hand and arms motion help, too. There are a couple girls (twins) who have latched on to Jen and I, I think because we're the newest people here and closer than some in age to them. I would say they are about 14 or 15 years old, and it amazes me how they can at times seem older than their years (when they show us methods to improve our fire-cooking skills) and how at other times, they seem like little kids. This week they came over with their school books, and we saw a little peek into their level of schooling, which isn't very high for their age. We also saw how excited they were over paper and markers for drawing pictures and the few stickers that we gave them. I think a lot of these kids kind of miss out on some of the things that we would consider a pretty basic part of our childhood.

Some things you can pray about...
* We're short on propane here, which makes cooking a little interesting. Jen and I have been borrowing a neighbor's tank for the past couple of weeks, but we try to use it sparingly and cook over a fire more often. We were blessed yesterday to receive a new tank that came down from Senegal, so pray that we will use it wisely, that we will have good opportunities to share our blessing with those who are also running low on propane, and that there will soon be more propane in Guinea so people can fill up their tanks. Also, pray that we can continue to improve our fire-cooking skills. :)
* Pray for the AFLC (African Leadership Conference) being held here in Guinea, that the teaching and times of worship can be good and energizing for the people attending. Also pray for the people who are doing everything behind the scenes to make it a success and for their health as they run around trying to make sure things are ready to go.
* Start praying for teachers next year here at the school. A couple of families who do a lot at the school, especially high school level, are going to be on furlough, so there may be a shortage of people able to teach high school subjects. If you're interested, ask me about the Associate Program and how you can be a part, to serve over here for a year or two.
* Continue to pray for the tribal believers, that they can endure persecution from their families and the people in their villages and continue to want to be fed from the word of God.

Thanks for your prayers and for checking in on me. Hope you're all doing well, and feel free to drop me an email or call me through skype sometime.

1 comment:

Raymond and Susan Bugg said...

Any interesting kind of Buggs there?? We will be praying for you and God Bless you as He brings opportunities to you.